NAVRATRI FAST DIET & GUIDELINES
Navratri is one of the most awaited traditional festival that we celebrate throughout India. There are certain fasting rules that one must follow. So in this blog, we will be talking on navratri fast diet & guidelines that will help one follow the navrati with all customs and traditions.
Some food items like eggs, meats, grains, pulses, regular salt, junk foods and alcohol are strictly avoided. Some also don’t use ginger, garlic and onions in their meal preparations. But there are many other ingredients and foods that one is allowed to enjoy during the Navratri fasts.
- The Navratri food reduces the calorie intake during the day due to a limitation of food groups.
- The diet is also a wheat-free plan that helps in weight loss.
- And protein limitations make the meals light, easy to digest.
- Also the meals are generally salt-free which helps in water retention.
- Navratri diet generally includes fruit which increases the fiber consumption hence detoxifying and cleansing the system.
Here’s are some guidelines to all that you can eat and enjoy even while fasting.
- Avoid eating fried food rather opt for baked or tandoori.
- Limit your sugar intake rather add cinnamon-cardamom powder or stevia; the natural sweetener.
- Eat one cooked meal and the rest fruits and low-fat dairy.
- Drink plenty of water and fluids like tender coconut water, plain lemon water, green tea, herbal juice or detox drinks.
- Stick to the Navratri diet which includes nuts, fruits, dairy products like milk and buttermilk and selected flours.
NAVRATRI DIET PLAN
Early Morning: ½ ml apple cider vinegar + ½ lemon juice + ½ tsp honey in 1 Glass Lukewarm water# 5-6 soaked almonds-1 tsp pumpkin seeds#
2 Glass Detox Water# [1 apple slices- 1 kheera slices – 1 lemon slices -few mint leaves; soaked overnight in 1 L of water] # 5-6 soaked almonds-1 date
Breakfast options (choose any one)
- Fruits-Nuts-Seeds with skimmed milk – 1 cup
- Amaranth porridge (Samak) with nuts – 1 cup
- Fruits shake (papaya, apple, strawberry) with five to six soaked with curd and almonds – 1 glass
Mid-morning options (choose any one)
- Lemon water or Coconut water
- Green Tea or Regular Tea With roasted makhana /baked namkeen/ baked chips
Lunch options (choose any one)
- 1 cup Baked Potato with Paneer chat (2 medium size potato and 125 grams of paneer)
- Baked Sabudana Tikki/Vadawith veggies and curd
- Kuttu chapatti with vegetables and salad with raita
- Grilled kuttu and paneer vadas with mint chutney- 3/4 pc ( small)
Evening time: Green Tea or Regular Tea with A big bowl of fruits (but no bananas)
Dinner options (choose any one)
- A huge plate full of salad made with carrots, cabbage, steamed broccoli, tomato and bell peppers. 100 gm thick curd with grated cucumber/bottle gourd and rai tadka in half tsp olive oil.
- Pumpkin and bottle gourd soup with vegetables- 1-2 bowl/ 1 bowl ( with sendha namak)
- 2 pc Singhare ke Cheele/kuttu rotiwith 1.5 cup low fat yogurt
Bed Time: Drink a cup of hot green tea – 1 cup
Also one can include:
- Samak Rice Idli/Dosa
- Amaranth Ladoo (add nuts, seeds, raisins, stevia)
- Fruit yogurt
- Fruit-Nuts Smoothie
- Fruit Milkshake
- Hara Bara Kebab
- Samak Palak Dhokla
Find more healthy but filling navratri fast recipes in our next blog: HEALTHY NAVRATRI FAST RECIPES