KETOGENIC DIET: FAD OR HEALTHY!!!
In today’s busy life, everyone is trying different diet plans to achieve their fitness goal for a faster result. Among them, Ketogenic diet is becoming one of the most popular diets now. Let’s see is KETOGENIC DIET: FAD OR HEALTHY!!!
Origin of Ketogenic Diet
But before understanding the Ketogenic diet, one should understand the origin of such diets. Once this Ketognic diet was used as a medicine primarily to treat epilepsy. Normally, the carbohydrates from food are converted into glucose which your body burns immediately or converts to glycogen to be stored in the muscles and liver for between meals. If you eat more calories from carbs or other sources than your body can use, the cells store the excess as fat.
The Ketogenic diet is a high-fat, adequate-protein, low-carbohydrate diet. In this diet, the body burns fat rather than carbohydrates. The ratio is basically like 70% fat-20% proteins-10% carbohydrates.
If there is low carbohydrate in the diet, the liver converts fat into fatty acids and ketone bodies. The ketone bodies pass into the brain and replace glucose as an energy source. It is also commonly known as low carb high fat diet (LCHF diet) or Low carb diet.
KETOSIS is a condition where body uses ketones rather than glucose for energy. It happens when the intake of carbohydrates is very low, to lower the insulin levels and body starts producing ketones from fat, these ketones are used by body to burn for energy. In this state the rate at which body burns fat is very high and one can lose weight and inches in a short span of time.
How keto diet helps in weight loss?
A ketogenic diet works on a simple logic: consuming less carbohydrates and more of fats.
- Ketosis involves breaking down of stored fats in the liver in order to produce energy for the body. These stored fats will be used for energy and hence you lose weight faster.
- When Fats will not get deposited in the body, you will become leaner and healthier.
- When you have fewer fats, your body is saved from various harmful diseases such as diabetes, coronary heart disease and cholesterol. This helps to increase your quality of life and also gives you longevity.
Tips that you can follow the Ketogenic diet
Here are some tips that you can use while following the Ketogenic diet
- Instead of eating meats with rice or roti, simply consume some organ meats such as heart, liver and kidney since these will give you ample proteins along with the fiber.
- Just wrap the grilled/tandoori/roasted organ meat in lettuce, green salad or sauté veggies and enjoy a healthy meal.
- Can’t think of eating a vegetable curry without a chapatti, grill the vegetables and/or the chicken and season them with salt and pepper.
- To satisfy your hunger, eat lots of salads. By salads, we mean low carb salads.
- Sauté a chicken breast in olive oil and add some broccoli along with some cheese. Add some seasoning to it and enjoy a healthy snack.
ADVANTAGES OF KETOGENIC DIET
A Ketogenic diet has the following advantages:
- Weight loss becomes easy & faster: Since your body is utilizing all the fats, you tend to lose weight faster.
- Feel energetic: Fats are the most effective source of energy and makes you feel energized throughout the day. Fats are supposedly the most reliable source of energy that you can give to your body.
- Helps in lowering Blood cholesterol: The fats of your body will be used constantly for energy due to which fats will not get deposited in your blood stream. This will help in reducing the bad cholesterol levels in the body and prevent clogging of arteries. This also reduces the risk of heart disease and stroke.
- Helps in maintaining Blood sugar levels: A keto diet makes you consume more of healthy foods which have fewer sugars and the fats that you consume are being utilized. This helps to keep the blood sugar levels within the normal range.
- Helpful in treating brain disorders: Research has shown that the keto diet has helped in treating various brain disorders such as epilepsy in children and for cancer patients.
Dis advantages of Ketogenic diet
A Ketogenic diet for weight loss has some disadvantages:
- Lose muscle mass: When the body is in a state of ketosis, you also lose muscle. This can make you feel fatigued in the long run, due to which it is followed for short period.
- Puts strain on the kidneys: Our body burns carbs for energy requirements. When you refrain from eating enough carbs, body starts burning fats to get energy. This puts a lot of stress on the kidneys.
- May cause nutritional deficiencies: When you cut down on the carbohydrates in your food, you might suffer from deficiency of certain minerals and vitamins that are contained by carb rich foods.
Foods to be Included
Most dietary fat is made of molecules called long-chain triglycerides (LCTs). However, medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs)—made from fatty acids with shorter carbon chains —are more ketogenic.
Given below is a list of food items having good amount of fat that can be consumed while following a Ketogenic diet plan:
- Coconut oil
- Olive oil
- Walnut oil
- Coconut butter
- Pumpkin seeds
- Flax seeds
- Full cream cheese
- Full fat yogurt
- Cashew milk
- Coconut milk
- Almond milk
- Pumpkin seeds
- Peanut butter