FAT FLUSH PLAN
The Fat Flush Plan is a combination weight loss and detox diet. Developed by Arun Louise Gittleman, PhD, a former nutritionist at the Pritikin Longevity Center, this plan promises to melt away fat in just two weeks while also detoxifying your body.
HOW IS THIS DIET SUPPOSED TO WORK?
The premise of this diet is that we need to detoxify our bodies, particularly our livers, to lose extra weight. According to Dr. Gittleman, eliminating certain foods and adding others can boost the liver’s performance, flush fat, and accelerate weight loss.
Dr. Gittleman believes that there are five hidden causes of weight gain:
- liver toxicity,
- waterlogged tissues (causing bloating and cellulite),
- fear of eating fat,
- excess insulin and inflammation, and
The Fat Flush Plan consists of three phases:
PHASE ONE: TWO-WEEK FAT FLUSH
This is a cleansing program designed to accelerate weight loss from hips, thighs and buttocks, while detoxifying the liver.
Calories: 1,100 – 1,200 per day
Focus: Daily flaxseed oil, fiber and water along with exercise.
- Green leafy vegetables (e.g. kale, collards, watercress, and broccoli) and other non-starchy vegetables.
- Certain fruits
- Flaxseed Oil
- Omega-3-enriched eggs
- Fish, lean meat, skinless chicken, and turkey
- Unsweetened cranberry juice diluted with water
Foods Not Allowed:
- Trans fats
- Colas, diet sodas, alcohol
- Aspartame, sugar, and many spices (including curries, chili peppers, and black pepper)
- Vinegars (other than apple cider vinegar), soy sauce, mustard, and barbecue sauce
- Grains, breads, cereals
- Starchy vegetables (e.g. potatoes, corn, peas, carrots, parsnips, pumpkin, winter squash, and beans)
- Dairy products
- All oils and fats other than flaxseed oil
PHASE TWO: ONGOING FAT FLUSH
This is designed for ongoing weight loss. Remain on this phase until you reach your desired weight loss, which can last two weeks to several months.
Calories: 1,200 – 1,500 per day
Focus: Similar to phase one
Foods Allowed: Same as phase one, with the addition of allowing 1-2 “friendly carbohydrates” back on the menu each week, such as flax bread and sweet potatoes.
Foods Not Allowed: Same as phase one.
PHASE THREE: LIFESTYLE EATING PLAN
This is the maintaining portion of the program.
Calories: over 1,800 per day
Focus: Similar to phases one and two. Also includes food combing (e.g. only eating one protein per meal, eating flaxseed oil with dairy, and not eating vegetables and fruit together)
Foods Allowed: Same as phase two with the addition of more fruit and oils and limited dairy. Can now work up to a mixture of four “friendly carbohydrates” per day.
Foods Not Allowed: Many of the foods that were eliminated in phase one remain restricted, including coffee, regular tea (herbal teas are okay), diet sodas, alcohol, sweeteners, sugar , and white flour.